Every country has a set of labour laws that are designed for a better workplace environment for both employees and employers. Furthermore, Dubai is one of the most popular cities for expats to shift and make a life. People from all around the world prefer moving and investing in Dubai owing to its modern infrastructure, luxury lifestyle, and unlimited job opportunities with handsome salaries.
Having said that, the UAE, to grab the attention of expats, has made amendments to Labour law for a better experience and to provide a convenient working environment for employees. It is a gesture to attract more people to start working here and making progress. UAE labour law article 121 gives employees the freedom to leave the job without notice in specific circumstances. Sometimes, employees do not bother to research the labour laws, and the employers get the advantage of it.
So, for those who are moving to Dubai for employment, let’s discuss the labour laws that you should know about. Be mindful that these laws are applicable to all employers that work within the UAE, excluding the federal and local government entities.
1. Modified Working Models
The latest labour law has set some working modules in the workplace other than the full-time job. It benefits those who want a flexible working environment. According to the law, now there will be three working modules, including part-time work, temporary work, and flexible work.
● Part-time: it gives the flexibility of forking for specific hours or days for one or more employers.
● Temporary work: it includes working for a specific period of time or for a certain task.
● Flexible work: It gives the flexibility of working all or a part of the task remotely.
It has opened the way for employees that look for something other than a traditional working module. The government is working on writing these benefits and terms and conditions in the contract.
2. New Visa Categories
- To encourage more people.
- To come and work in the emirates, the Ministry of Human Resource and Emiratisation has made some changes in emigration. Now, there are 12 different types of work permits, thereby giving more people a chance to work in the emirates and enjoy the luxuries of the city. Following are the visa categories offered for employment.
- A permit to recruit workers from across the border.
- A transfer work permit for non-national
- A permit for those registered under their parent’s residency.
- Task work permit for recruiting a worker for temporary work from abroad.
- Temporary work permit
- Partial work permit for part-time contracts
- Juvenile work permit for those aged between 15-18 years. Student employment and training permit
- Student employees and training permit for students aged 15 years.
- Work permit for citizens of GCC countries.
- Work permit for golden residency holders
- Freelancer work permit for those who want to engage in self-employment.
3. Employment Contract Types
The new labour law has also specified the employment contract type. According to the new law, unlimited employment contracts are no longer valid. Furthermore, it has also specified the duration of limited contracts for up to three years. So, employers are given a limited period of a year to convert their unlimited contracts to limited contractual agreements. Furthermore, employers do not have to pay end-of-service-dues for renewing the agreement.
4. Work Responsibilities for Employees
Sometimes employers take advantage of the employees by utilizing their abilities for other tasks not briefed in their work description. The new labour law has got the employees covered for this problem as well. According to the new law, it is prohibited for employers to assign work that is fundamentally different from the work description described in the employment contract unless employees give their consent. In this way, laborers are not forced to accept additional and undesirable responsibilities.
5. Prohibit Discrimination
One of the best protections the new labour law has given to the employees is the prohibition of discrimination. Discrimination on the basis of religion, sex, age, and gender is strictly prohibited in the workplace. It helps people from all over the world to increase their participation.
6. Flexibility in Leaves
Apart from other benefits, the new labour law has given flexibility in leaves as well. Female employees can now get 60 days maternity leave with 45 days full pay and 15 days half pay without any bounds on the length of the service period. Employees with ten years of service can get ten days of study leave if they study in UAE-certified institutions. In addition to that, employees can get five days of paternal leaves as well within the initial six months of birth. However, getting assistance from a well-reputed law firm like Davidson and co is essential to hire an experienced lawyer for assistance.
In all, UAE’s new labour law is a step forward to protect the rights of both employees and employers. It aims to bring a peaceful environment and flexibility in the workplace and increase market efficiency.